SEO today isn’t what it was 5 years ago (or even a year ago, really).
Google is always updating its search algorithm, which means what worked well before may not work as well now.
But it’s not enough to just hope for the best; you need to stay up to date with Google to get higher rankings.
Here are couple of quick tips about the latest SEO ranking factors you need to know about so your website is where it should be: front and centre.
In today’s digital age, more of us are using mobile devices than our desktop computers to search online. Google wants to ensure that search results are the best fit for searchers, which is why it now ranks mobile-friendly sites higher than desktop-only sites. Google has implemented mobile-first indexing, which means your site could suffer lower rankings if it’s not optimised for mobile devices. Your site needs:
- A mobile responsive design that fits all manner of mobile devices across different operating platforms.
- Font readability and accessibility of Call-to-Action buttons
- Simple navigation tailored for users on the go
- Quality and helpful content tailored for your users
Site Speed Optimisation
This is an oldie but a goodie. Page load speed is one of the biggest frustrations among users, especially in our fast-paced, mobile-accessible world. Google recently launched a search engine update that focuses on page load speed, specifically on mobile devices. So not only do you need a mobile site, it needs to be quick as well.
- See how your site measures up with Google’s mobile site load testing tool
- Talk to our developers about improving your site speed if you find you’re falling short
This refers to how ‘cited’ you are online – that is, how other people are mentioning your brand. If Google sees that your brand is being talked about, then its search engines will recognise the value behind it. You can get more mentions through social media competitions, writing blogs for other users online, and getting more backlinks from credible sites.
- Focus on creating highly sharable content that engages with a wide range of people
- Use social media marketing to get more engagement and conversions
Content has always been (and will always be) the foundation of an effective SEO campaign. You want to use keywords specific to your industry and create both short-form and long-form content, including videos and social media posts.
Sound exhausting? We can help with your content creation and make sure all your efforts are targeted towards your goal of ranking higher online.
- Use latent semantic indexing (LSI) keywords in your content. LSI keywords are words that provide more context and meaning to your keywords. For example, if you sell custom t-shirts, use words and phrases like ‘customised shirt’, ‘printed shirts’, or ‘design your own shirt’ in your content (when appropriate, of course).
- Create a content strategy that covers different goals (retention of customers, customer acquisition, etc.)
- Consider writing thought-leadership pieces of over 2,000 words that give your users genuine value
Need some help on the SEO front? Find out how we can help. If you have any questions about SEO, call us on 1300 596 636 or send us a message online.